11
Nov

Virtual World Experiences – the stuff of fiction?

Written on November 11, 2008 by uwe.spangler@ie.edu in General

Secondlife2.jpg

Professor Cristina Simón experiments teaching in Second Life with International MBA students.

Professor Cristina Simón organised a role play in the Managerial Decision Making program. Students adopted roles as a priest, a pregnant woman, a sportsman, a female doctor and a scientist, each fighting for survival after a thermo-nuclear conflict. The characters were locked in a bunker with only enough resources for two survivors. The characters had to decide who would be the unlucky few to leave the bunker and confront death.

A great experience – I was amazed how the second life platform strengthened role-playing.” Similarly students were as receptive to the idea, “I found that I was much more talkative and outgoing in the discussions, probably because I felt completely submerged in the experience.”